1. Help Center
  2. International Shipments

Why do I need to supply a Tax ID # for US Exports?

All US exports need to be registered with the U.S. Census Bureau / U.S. Customs and Border Protection. We do this by providing the U.S. Principle Party of Interest (U.S.P.P.I) which is the name and address of where the works are coming from in the U.S. We also need to provide a registered government ID number - this can be a U.S. based Social Security Number (SSN) or business Employer Identification Number (EIN). Alternatively, if you are not a US citizen or resident, we can use a foreign ID including passport number or EORI number.

We always push for a U.S. based ID and U.S. based shipper, as we can ship under the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Known shipper program - these freight options are typically cheaper and more direct. We can ship as a TSA Unknown shipper, however these are cargo aircrafts only, there are less flight options, more cargo handling, and can be more expensive.